As an athlete, you are on the go all the time. Whether traveling between matches or going all out on the field, you are putting yourself in harm’s way more than the average person does. This can make it difficult for you to get the necessary insurance coverage.
There are ways around this issue, though, mainly allowing your insurance carrier to exclude anything from your sport that may affect the policy. Be careful when allowing the insurance agent to do this because it could mean that you are not covered for what you need to be covered for. However, you will still be stuck paying the premiums.
But even so, what are 5 insurance products that you must consider as an athlete?
- Life Insurance Is A Must Have For Athletes – Death due to previous injuries truly happens to athletes of any level and from any sport. One of the most crucial long-term insurance products you need is life insurance. It offers financial support to your family members who will have to arrange your final wishes. It will also replace your income for a short time so they can get things figured out.
- Health Insurance Should Be Included – As an athlete, you should have health coverage through the team you play for. If you are part of a small team or not on a professional level yet, you may find that your average health policy will not cover any injuries that you sustain through your sport. You need to check into this and see if that is the case. If you are covered, then all you need to do is keep paying the premiums on the policy and ensure it stays active at all times.
- Home And Contents Insurance Is Necessary – Home and contents insurance can help you protect your assets from the financial disaster that could arise during your absence. Acts of nature, vandalism, theft, or even damage that the house does to itself (such as a burst water pipe.) It is a policy you cannot afford to miss out on, so if you do not have it go to the iSelect online platform and find coverage that works for your specific needs.
- Disability Insurance Can Be A Huge Help – Sporting commissions nationwide have been demanding more innovative safety equipment for athletes in every sport. Protecting your safety is imperative to them, but it is not always enough to prevent an injury that could disable you. Temporarily sometimes, while every now and then, a freak accident can cause permanent and irreversible disability.
- Income Replacement – This is the type of policy that many people making a good income have, but in truth, all people should have. It will protect you and your family financially if anything should happen to you that makes it impossible for you to play your sport for a time. It replaces a portion of your income until you can return to the field.
These 5 insurance products are the top policies you should have as an athlete. Some others may be beneficial to you as well, depending upon your specific circumstances. For example, if you drive your vehicle back and forth to your matches, you will want a good automobile insurance policy in place. If you fly worldwide, you will want a good travel insurance policy.
What it all boils down to is you. You need to analyze your life and the specific needs attached to it. Whatever sport you are in, you need to have insurnace polcies that will cover any financial obligations or problems that could arise. Plus, you need to remember that you are not only protecting yourself with insurance. You are also protecting your family from financial burdens that they may be unable to handle.