College Lax Player, 20, Tragically Dies After Choking During Hot Dog Eating Contest

Moscow, Russia - 1 June 2020: Tufts University website with logo, Illustrative Editorial.


Madelyn Nicpon, who was known by friends, family, and teammates as Madie, tragically passed away over the weekend after a hot dog eating contest went terribly wrong. Nacpon, who was just 20 years old, was a member of the Tufts University lacrosse team.

According to The Journal News, Nicpon fell unconscious after choking during the contest. She was rushed to the hospital but unfortunately passed away on Sunday evening.

“We are beyond heartbroken to share the news of the passing of junior Madie Nicpon — Scooter. Scooter was a true friend and teammate. She truly valued her relationships with her teammates and coaches. Her reach was far beyond our team — she was a true connector on campus and touched every single person she met.

“She has and will continue to inspire us every day. We should all strive to live life a little bit more like Scooter did — a person that valued love, loyalty, compassion, and friendship.”

A GoFundMe page has been set up to assist the family in covering funeral and medical expenses. At the time of this writing, the fundraiser has raised more than $161,000 from more than 2,600 donors.

Our deepest condolences go out to Nicpon’s family and friends during this incredibly difficult and tragic time.

Facebook Is Rebranding & Will Change Its Name Amid Continuous Controversies
Facebook Is Rebranding & Will Change Its Name Amid Continuous Controversies
Read More:
  • 12847423802543462