New ‘Jeopardy’ Most Mike Richards Quits Show After Past Comments Sparked Controversy

jeopardy podium

Shutterstock

Mike Richards is out as Jeopardy! host just over a week after it was announced that he would be replacing Alex Trebek.

Richards, who is executive producer of the show, came under fire immediately after it was announced that he led the search which ended with his hire. Then, The Ringer released a report detailing Richards’ past comments which sparked controversy.

Following the report, Richards’ past comments about Jews, women, and other groups came to light and led to the Anti-Defamation League calling for an investigation. The disparaging comments were made on the comedy podcast “The Randumb Show.” On Friday, Richards stepped down.

“As I mentioned last week, I was deeply honored to be asked to host the syndicated show and was thrilled by the opportunity to expand my role. However, over the last several days it has become clear that moving forward as host would be too much of a distraction for our fans and not the right move for the show. As such, I will be stepping down as host effective immediately. As a result, we will be canceling production today,” a statement read, via the Hollywood Reporter.

“I want to apologize to each of you for the unwanted negative attention that has come to Jeopardy! over the last few weeks and for the confusion and delays this is now causing. I know I have a lot of work to do to regain your trust and confidence.”

Sony issued a statement on the news.

“We support Mike’s decision to step down as host. We were surprised this week to learn of Mike’s 2013/2014 podcast and the offensive language he used in the past. We have spoken with him about our concerns and our expectations moving forward,” the statement read.

“Mike has been with us for the last two years and has led the Jeopardy! team through the most challenging time the show has ever experienced. It is our hope that as EP he will continue to do so with professionalism and respect.”

Let the search continue.

Dick Vitale Says He’s Cancer Free After Melanoma Diagnosis Earlier This Year
Dick Vitale Says He’s Cancer Free After Melanoma Diagnosis Earlier This Year
Read More:
NewsNews
  • 12847423802543462