The Ultimate Fighting Championship held its first pay-per-view of 2023 on Saturday night with UFC 283, featuring a championship doubleheader at Jeunesse Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
It was an incredible night of fights to start the year for the promotion, with two new champions being crowned and two mixed martial arts legends hanging up their gloves.
Leading into the main card, former PRIDE and UFC champion Mauricio “Shogun” Rua suffered a first-round TKO loss to Ihor Potieria in what was his retirement fight. The 41-year-old Brazilian hangs up his gloves with a record of 27-14-1.
THANK YOU SHOGUN 🙌 pic.twitter.com/JMTW6qF1PF
— UFC (@ufc) January 22, 2023
In the main event of the night, Jamahal Hill was able to dominate Glover Teixeira en route to a five-round decision victory to claim the vacant light heavyweight championship.
Hill was overcome with emotion after winning the title.
— UFC (@ufc) January 22, 2023
Then, while speaking to Daniel Cormier, Teixeira announced that he would also be calling it a career.
The former light heavyweight champion, who amassed a record of 33-9 throughout the years, said that he was too tough for his own good and it was time to move on after being battered for 25 minutes before he ultimately dropped his hands into the center of the cage.
This is why we love Glover Teixeira 👏
— UFC_Asia (@UFC_Asia) January 22, 2023
But that wasn’t the end of the action in Brazil.
In the co-main event, flyweight champion Deiveson Figueiredo and interim champ Brandon Moreno went toe-to-toe with Moreno having the upper hand through three rounds. Near the end of the third, Moreno blasted Figueiredo with a hook that landed right on his eye which immediately caused visible damage.
After the third, doctors called an end to the fight while Figueiredo was on the stool because his eye was swollen shut and he was unable to continue. With that, Moreno reclaimed the 125-pound gold and put the quadrilogy with Figueiredo behind him, leading the series 2-1-1.
If you missed out on Saturday night’s action, we have you covered.
A full look at the UFC 283 results can be seen below.
UFC 283 Results
- Jamahal Hill def. Glover Teixeira via unanimous decision (50-44, 50-44, 50-44) – to win light heavyweight title
- Brandon Moreno def. Deiveson Figueiredo via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 3, 5:00 – to unify flyweight title
- Gilbert Burns def. Neil Magny via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 4:15
- Jessica Andrade def. Lauren Murphy via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-26)
- Johnny Walker def. Paul Craig via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:16
- Ihor Potieria def. Mauricio Rua via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 4:05
- Brunno Ferreira def. Gregory Rodrigues via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 4:13
- Thiago Moises def. Melquizael Costa via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 4:05
- Gabriel Bonfim def. Mounir Lazzez via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:49
- Jailton Almeida def. Shamil Abdurakhimov via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:56
- Cody Stamann def. Luan Lacerda via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ismael Bonfim def. Terrance McKinney via knockout (knee) – Round 2, 2:17
- Nicolas Dalby def. Warlley Alves via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Josiane Nunes def. Zarah Fairn via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Daniel Marcos def. Saimon Oliveira via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 2:18