The new Mel Kiper Big Board for the 2022 NFL Draft has been released and there is a new player at the top.
After months of Oregon’s Kayvon Thibodeaux topping the list, Kiper has catapulted Michigan Wolverines defensive end Aidan Hutchinson at No. 1. Hutchinson has been dominant down the stretch and was named a finalist for the 2021 Heisman Trophy; the only defensive player to receive an invite to New York City this week.
“Yes, Hutchinson makes the leap to the top of my Big Board. He has been unreal down the stretch and is now a Heisman Trophy finalist,” Kiper wrote. “Since I last updated my rankings, he has doubled his sack total. He now has 14 and two forced fumbles, showing powerful moves and relentless pursuit of quarterbacks. Three of those sacks came in the win over Ohio State, as he dominated the Buckeyes’ O-line.”
My new Big Board and position rankings for the 2022 draft: Aidan Hutchinson has been so dominant lately that he's the new No. 1 prospect. https://t.co/5SVykmkvgm
— Mel Kiper Jr. (@MelKiperESPN) December 8, 2021
It is hard to argue with that logic.
Hutchinson will have at least one more opportunity on the big stage to continue proving he belongs at the top when the Wolverines take on the Georgia Bulldogs in the College Football Playoff national semifinal at the Orange Bowl on December 31.
Who else is at the top of Kiper’s Big Board?
A look at the top 10 players in the 2022 draft class can be seen below.
Mel Kiper Big Board – Top 10 Players
- Aidan Hutchinson, defensive end, Michigan
- Kayvon Thibodeaux, defensive end, Oregon
- Evan Neal, offensive tackle, Alabama
- Kyle Hamilton, safety, Notre Dame
- Derek Stingley Jr., cornerback, LSU
- Jameson Williams, wide receiver, Alabama
- Drake London, wide receiver, USC
- Devin Lloyd, linebacker, Utah
- David Ojabo, defensive end, Michigan
- Charles Cross, offensive tackle, Mississippi State
You can check out the full Mel Kiper Big Board here.