The Paqui #OneChipChallenge has returned for another year, and this time the world’s hottest chip comes with a new twist.
Paqui announced that the chip will feature the Carolina Reaper and Scorpion Pepper, along with the secret ingredient of “pure fear.” The chip is available now in stores including Walgreens, 7-Eleven, and Kroger and online nationwide at Paqui.com/OneChipChallenge and on Amazon.
The chip is priced at $6.99.
“After five years of multiple tastings, and, without fail, raising the bar once again, the team here at Paqui has found a dangerous duo,” said Paqui Brand Manager Caitlin Moralic. “I can officially stand by the saying ‘less is more’. While this year’s challenge has the least number of peppers yet, fans should be warned not to underestimate The Scorpion’s instant sting and The Reaper’s gradual, spicy misfortune.”
The chip was tested behind the scenes with The Paqui Spice Council which helps develop the hottest chip possible over a three- to four-month period.
To help you out, The Paqui Spice Council provided the following advice:
- It’s a Marathon, Not a Sprint: To bring you the hottest chip possible, the development process takes 3-4 months. Each member of The Spice Council eats the previous year’s chip and compares it to new iterations, often needing a week of recovery between each taste test.
- Train your Taste Buds: To prepare for The Paqui One Chip Challenge, The Spice Council recommends training your taste buds by working your way through Paqui’s everyday chip line-up starting with Mucho Nacho Cheese flavor up to Haunted Ghost Pepper® flavor. If you consider yourself a “seasoned” spice pro, you can prepare for the challenge by simply eating Paqui’s Haunted Ghost Pepper® chips.
- Beware of the Devil in Disguise: Do not be fooled by the fruit-like smell of this year’s chip. The Spice Council selected this dangerous pepper duo – Scorpion and Carolina Reaper – for a sensory overload; the Scorpion immediately stings your mouth while The Reaper’s spicy affliction creeps up on you.
- Learn from our Mistakes: Avoid consuming carbonated drinks before and taking The Paqui One Chip Challenge at night, before a workday, or on an empty stomach.
- SOS (Survive Our Spices): Tried-and-true remedies among The Spice Council include snacks high in fat such as coconut milk, ice cream and chocolate and swallowing a spoonful of olive oil beforehand. Still struggling to survive? Take a nap!
Those brave enough to participate in the #OneChipChallenge can do so by sharing their videos and tagging @paquichips with the hashtag #OneChipChallenge on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok.