Rafael Nadal Pulls Out Of US Open Due To Foot Injury

NEW YORK - AUGUST 22, 2017: Fifteen times Grand Slam Champion Rafael Nadal of Spain practices for US Open 2017 at Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York

Shutterstock

Rafael Nadal has been forced out of the U.S. Open.

On Friday, the Spanish tennis star announced on social media that he has pulled out of the upcoming major and will remain sidelined for the rest of the year due to a nagging foot injury. The 35-year-old previously sat out of Wimbledon and the Olympics due to fatigue.

Nadal says that the foot injury has been bothering him for most of his career.

“I am very sorry to announce that I won’t be able to keep playing tennis during the 2021 season,” Nadal said. “But as you know, I have been suffering too much with my foot for the last year now and I missed a lot of important events for me.

“During the last year I was not able to practice and prepare the way I need to be competitive at the standards I want to be. The injury is nothing new. It is the same injury I am having since 2005. In that moment the doctors were very negative about my future career, but honestly I was able to have a career I was unable to ever dream about, so I am confident I will recover again.”

Nadal is just the latest big-name player to pull out of the tournament, following Roger Federer and last year’s U.S. Open champion Dominic Thiem.

The U.S. Open will begin on Monday, August 30, and run through Sunday, September 12.

Novak Djokovic To Compete At Tokyo Olympics; Eyeing Golden Slam
Novak Djokovic To Compete At Tokyo Olympics; Eyeing Golden Slam
  • 12847423802543462