Conor McGregor Signs Bout Agreement to Face Dustin Poirier at UFC 257

South Boston, MA - 3/17/19: MMA fighter Conor McGregor rides atop a car in the St Patrick's Day Parade

Shutterstock

Conor McGregor’s return to the Octagon is official.

On Thursday, the former two-division UFC champion announced that he has officially signed his bout agreement to rematch Dustin Poirier at UFC 257 on January 23.

“I am very grateful to be about to return and get to do what I love again,” McGregor told The Mac Life. “I look forward to the fresh test Dustin will bring since our first bout, while also showcasing my own incredibly deep cache of weaponry. Whatever tool is needed on the night will be pulled from the duffel.

“I am also really excited about aiding Dustin’s charity ‘The Good Fight Foundation’, which through the donation, will build a gym/premise for disadvantaged youth in his childhood hometown. I truly love this, and pledge to match the donation on a premise in my own childhood hometown! Both spots with an ode to the upcoming bout.”

The two men previously met in the featherweight division at UFC 178 in 2014 with McGregor scoring a first-round TKO victory which helped launched him into stardom.

McGregor last appeared in the UFC back at UFC 246 in January when he dismantled Donald Cerrone in just 40 seconds after 15 months away from the sport. He then announced his retirement four months later on June 6. He said that the sport no longer excites him. However, the itch returned and the chance to rematch Poirier was too good of an opportunity to pass up.

McGregor has also claimed he would be boxing Manny Pacquiao, but there have not been further developments in those talks.

Bellator 253 Weigh-in Results: Darrion Caldwell vs AJ McKee
  • 12847423802543462