The evolution of NCAA cheerleading took a new step forward last night in Eugene, Oregon. The Ducks cheerleading team (@OregonCheer) held tryouts at Matthew Knight Arena and it wasn’t your normal cheerleading tryout. The general public was encouraged to stop by to watch.
The catch: $5 entrance fee.
By the end of the night, the judges had whittled away the pretenders and announced the semi-finalists (above) that are one step closer to going on a Nike cheerleading uniform shopping spree.
As for this entrance fee thing, it’s a genius idea. You raise some dollars, guys get to show up and
scout stalk the cheerleaders and make Vine videos. We’ve always said that if there would ever be a college cheerleading unit to make a bikini calendar, it would be Oregon. This $5 entrance fee is just another step in that direction.
As for what perks an Oregon cheerleader will get if selected, the team spells out your rewards:
- Cheering for the Ducks at Autzen Stadium, Mattew Knight Arena.
- Nike apparel, including game uniforms, warm-ups, sweats, shirts, shoes, shorts,
- Access to academic advisor and John Jaqua Services for Student Athletes center with tutors and computers provided free of charge
- Trainers and doctors
- Two tickets for family members per game based on available tickets (Veterans all games, rookies 3 games a year)
- Scholarship awards based on coach’s selection (Maximum Scholarship=$1,100 per term-Fall & Winter Only)
- All travel paid, including daily per diem (Travel Squad based on Coaches selection).
Ladies piling into the basketball arena.
The calm before the chants.