For those of us old enough to remember it and rent it on VHS (or buy it if your parents were super loaded), Wrestlemania 1 changed our lives. Suddenly we were hooked on Hogan, Piper, Bundy, Snuka and the Iron Sheik.
Our cable television might’ve sucked, but our Saturday mornings were loaded with WWF events to help build the characters that Vince McMahon was promoting.
Wrestlemania 1, held on March 31, 1985 eventually led to us wrestling heads wanting rubber wrestling dolls and the ring for Christmas. Its affect on pop culture is still being felt. Wrestlemania 29 will be held this Sunday at MetLife Stadium (82,566 capacity – not counting floor seats). P-Diddy will perform.
As for Wrestlemania 1, Cyndi Lauper & Liberace were in attendance.
Time has moved on and some of the wrestlers are have died (Junkyard Dog, Big John Studd) and others have faded away (Tito Santana teaches junior high Spanish in New Jersey). Want to feel old? Take a look at the “Then and Now.”
Wrestlemania 1 matches:
• Tito Santana defeated The Executioner.
• King Kong Bundy (with Jimmy Hart) defeated Special Delivery Jones.
• Ricky Steamboat defeated Matt Borne.
• David Sammartino (with Bruno Sammartino) fought Brutus Beefcake (with Johnny Valiant) to a double disqualification
• Junkyard Dog defeated Greg Valentine (c)(with Jimmy Hart) by countout.
• Nikolai Volkoff and The Iron Sheik (with Freddie Blassie) defeated The U.S. Express (Mike Rotundo and Barry Windham) (c) (with Lou Albano)
• André the Giant defeated Big John Studd (with Bobby Heenan)
• Wendi Richter (with Cyndi Lauper) defeated Leilani Kai (c) (with The Fabulous Moolah)
• Hulk Hogan and Mr. T (with Jimmy Snuka) defeated Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorff (with Bob Orton)